Thursday, July 27, 2017

The Art Gallery: 2008 Topps Star Wars Clone Wars Emperor


This month’s Art Gallery display comes from artist Robert Teranishi who has worked for Image, Dark Horse and WildStorm Comics as well as Marvel and DC. In the card world he has worked almost exclusively with Topps in their Star Wars and Mars Attacks releases. He is best known for his pencil and ink drawings working mainly in black with the occasional red. This specific card is from the 2008 Topps Star Wars Clone Wars release.

I am a huge fan of using negative space and shadows to create a design, it forces the brain to work differently to create the complete image in your mind. The subject of this card is Sheev Palpatine who eventually becomes Emperor Palpatine and ultimately Darth Sidious, the Sith Master to the Sith Apprentice Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader.

I am not a big fan of the Emperor but when there is a relatively cheap Star Wars sketch card I can not pass it up. I got this card in 2015 so I was fine with picking it up, but now I probably would not purchase it, even if I was buying cards.

1 comment:

  1. That sketch is nicer than 80% of the SW sketches in my collection. I really like Teranishi's style.

    ReplyDelete