Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Another Cavalcade Of Griffey Cards X


Before companies took variations to the extreme you had to have a keen eye to catch the differences and in 1991 Donruss did some slight differences with the borders for the factory sets. Packed out cards had one border and factory sets had a different border, the cards were the same otherwise.

You wouldn’t think that a card that costs a quarter could cause so much frustration to a buyer. The biggest problem is that most sellers don’t notice the difference and don’t list the card as a factory set/border variation card or even worse are the sellers that just grab an image and toss it up assuming all the cards are the same.

5 comments:

  1. I didn't know there was a difference. Shame on me. So which one is which?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The back cards are the factory set border variations.

      Delete
  2. Cool. I'll have to dig through my Gwynn, Maddux, and Thomas extras to see if I have any of the factory set variations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I learned something new! Is there any way to tell which just by looking at a card? Any difference on the back?

    ReplyDelete