Monday, December 9, 2013

Vintage Card Of The Month: 1977 Wonder Bread Star Wars


This month’s Vintage Card of the Month is actually a 16-card set included in Wonder Bread packages in 1977 following the release of Star Wars. The set is made up of 12 of the main characters and 4 ships. This release was actually one of two sets included in Wonder Bread products during 1977, the other being Close Encounters of the Third Kind. In the 1970s and 1980s it seems like cards were inserted in to anything that would draw a kid’s attention. Cereal, bread and snacks were often targeted to tie in with a movie’s popularity.
 
The Star Wars cards have a nice design but the solid black border unfortunately chipped easily, which can be seen on my Luke Skywalker #1 card. One of the downsides of cards from the era is the poor printing quality, colors are off and pixelated. On the plus side, these are Star Wars cards so nothing else matters. The back of the cards include a write up about the character and because the cards were produced in 1977 the information only describes the character during Episode IV.
 
I had a couple of these cards as a kid but they have since been lost in time. I picked up this set awhile back for around $12 to replace those lost to my childhood. As a kid Luke Skywalker was my favorite character but I have since been swayed to the Dark Side, I dig the bad guys now. In this set the Tusken Raiders card is my favorite.









1 comment:

  1. I still have my original set, and they are currently about 7 feet away from me as I type. With the original plastic holder and all.

    ReplyDelete