Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Random Blaster Box- 2010 Upper Deck World of Sports


A few weeks ago I did a review of the 2010 Upper Deck World of Sports release. The product contains athletes from across the board ranging in sports from basketball, baseball, soccer, swimming, ice dancing, lacrosse and a few others. I do find it odd that there are no football players though even though Upper Deck has a license for the NCAA. It is an interesting collection and because it is so varied almost every type of collector will find something of interest.



Most of the athletes in the team sports are in their college or high school uniforms with the only exceptions being the National Hockey League, Major League Soccer and Major League Lacrosse, which Upper Deck has licenses. One thing that you will notice is that the coach cards show a team logo in the lower left corner, I wish that the other base cards do too. I know some solo athletes (like figure skating, golf, swimming, etc.) do not have a team logo maybe put their college team logo or something like the Olympics or X-Game logos or even just a country flag. I know it is just a little thing but it is kind of cool.


This is a product that I decided to pick up because the base set. This is classic Upper Deck with a clean action shot, simple design and the focus is all on the athlete. As much as I like the base set I hate the inserts.

A few of the disappointing/glaring problems:

The autographs are all stickers.

The All-Sport Apparel relic card was designed with a sticker auto in mind and the cards without an autograph look unfinished.

The Athletes of the World autograph cards do not even show a shot of the athlete.



This is just a selection of some of the known athletes that I pulled. Of course I had to include the only Univ. of Arizona athlete, Eric Berger. Some others of note include Russell Westbrook, Danny Ferry, Amanda Beard and Bode Miller.

2 comments: