Monday, February 20, 2017

Some Simpsons Art



Even though there are not many official Simpsons sets, about 6 official sets (Topps, Skybox and Inkworks) and maybe another 20 or so international, stickers, oddballs and TCG cards, there are some very cool promos, subsets and inserts.

In 1994 I picked up a box of 1994 Skybox The Simpsons Series II and I was fortunate enough to pull one of the extremely difficult Arty Art cards which were seeded 1:180 packs with each card having a different style of art set inside a black frame. The card I pulled was #A1 from Mary Fleener of Marge and Homer in a Cubism style.

I finally decided to put an end to the hunt and last summer I figured to just find the cards at a reasonable price. I found one dealer that worked out a deal for me for cards #A3 (Gary Painter) Bart on a Skateboard and card #A4 (Jim Valentino) Shadowbart and Homer Hawk. He had actually just sold the other card that I needed a day or two before I contacted him so I ended up going elsewhere for card #A2 (Sam Keith) Evil Bart.

The cards were rare for the time, two per case, but I cannot find any specific numbers. It is safe to assume that there were thousands of cases so I am willing to bet there are at least 1,000 of each card floating around in collector’s collections but you would be surprised to see that these cards still sell easily for $40-50 each.


3 comments:

  1. I like Keith's art but I think I prefer the Valentino. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are great! I do like the Keith the most though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. $40 to $50 for an insert card? Are these sketches? If not... they have held their value more the 99.9% of sports cards from the 90's which is very impressive.

    P.S. I'm with Angus and Hackenbush... the Valentino is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete