Friday, February 3, 2017

The Video Game Card Connection

These are some very cool pickups of Sid Meier from the 2015 Upper Deck Goodwin Champions release.

One of my vices is getting some quiet time and playing video games. I am a big fan of RPG and Strategy/Tactics games; I enjoy the thought process that goes in to building up a character or leading a nation. Sid Meier is the master of strategy games going back to the origination of PC games when he founded MicroProse in 1982.

I have a nice collection of his games on my PC and iPad because they are great to just sit down and build a world when you need a one-hour break. Some of his biggest games that I love are Pirates, Ace Patrol and Railroad Tycoon but his big hit is the Civilization series. Sid Meier’s Civilization VI came out in October but the previous release Civilization V and its expansions have sold 8 million units and the series total is 33 million units sold over 25 years which puts it in to the Top 25 video game franchises ever.

Odd as it is I only need his #62 base card to complete the main portion of his cards, there are two limited minis (Leather mini #/15 and Gold Rainbow mini #1/1) and printing platers but I only plan on picking up the base with my next COMC order. Here is what I have so far:

Base design:
Canvas mini
Cloth mini Lady Luck back #25/50
Base shirt relic
Premium patch relic #10/15
Base autograph
Inscribed autograph #3/10

Goudey inserts
Base
Base shirt relic
Premium floppy disc relic #37/50

Initially all I wanted to pick up was the Inscribed Autograph card and the Premium floppy disc relic but the rest sort of fell in to place. What is cool is that the image that Upper Deck used of Meier shows him wearing the shirt that most likely was used for the relic and patch. The shirt he is wearing on the card shows the older Firaxis logo, the current logo is bolder and has thicker lines that resembles a hurricane, and the patch that I have would be from the bottom left corner as the circle starts to swoop upwards.

3 comments:

  1. Pretty cool. While I have not played his games I don't think, I loved Medieval Total War and if my current computer could recognize it I'd still be playing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a fan of the Total War series, they just released Rome: Total War for ios but I haven't tried it.

      Delete
  2. Floppy disc relic? Nice. I've never played any of the games you mentioned, but I have a ton of money in my iTunes account (thanks to students hooking me up with gift cards over the years). Do you have any particular favorites that you'd recommend (for my iPad) for a guy who doesn't play many video games outside of my PS4 every now and then?

    ReplyDelete