Monday, November 20, 2017

Monday Question Day- Auction Bidding?


Today is question day:

When it comes to auctions, how do you bid?

I prefer to wait until the last minute unless I am unavailable to make that bid in which I make my max bid and let things fall as they may. I know some people use snipping software, which I haven't gotten in to for no specific reason. I guess since I have been doing it this way since I started on eBay 17 years ago I will just keep doing it this way.

One thing that I try not to do is get caught up in a bidding war, I check recent sales as well as COMC and I set a price in my mind and stick to it. I read stories about shill bidding and I get all cautious but I have gotten caught up before on some of the more rare Griffey and Bader cards but when it happens I usually become gun shy and don't do it for awhile. 


9 comments:

  1. I usually just throw a bid in early so I can track it, and then wait until the end to see if it's worth throwing in a higher bid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Typically I'll wait until the last 15 minutes of an auction to get involved. Sometimes I'll throw up the minimum bid to try to get a steal. If I get outbid, I don't mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I pretty much always snipe via another website. It's nice to just "set it and forget it" with my max bid rather than stress about trying to remember to bid near the very end of the auction.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always wait until there's about three seconds left and then bid.
    I know a lot of people use them, but I just don't trust the sniping programs to do my bidding.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If it's an item I can take or leave I will put in an initial bid and take my chances. If it's something special I try to wait until the end and snipe. Occasionally for something really special (Ron Santo Milk Duds. for instance) I'll put in a max bid earlier and hope for the best. A decade ago I would get into bidding wars but not anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shoot I didn't even know there were sniping programs. Corky, I'm exactly like you. Same exact methods.
    I enjoy placing my only bid within the last 3 or 4 seconds, and I'll only post my max bid if I know I won't be able to bid right before the auction ends.
    Boy, I'm glad our player collections don't overlap!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used to use sniping programs... but now that I'm watching my spending my new rule is if I can't manually bid on it, then it's not meant to be. With that being said... I always wait for until there are 5 seconds left and I enter the most I'd be willing to spend... which these days means not much. Lol. That's probably why I've only made 5 or 6 purchases since August.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I put my max bid in and forget about it. I don't even look to see what I've lost because the few occasions I did, I lost by one more bid so now, I'd just rather not know.

    ReplyDelete