Friday, November 24, 2017

That One Friday Where Stuff Is On Sale


I hope that everyone had a wonderful holiday.

I know some probably braved the stores and the sales, but after working 10 years in retail I do whatever I can to stay away from stores this weekend. I braved the internet instead and came close to picking up some boxes but held up, and it was difficult after seeing some great deals on Star Wars and UFC boxes.

Instead I am hunting for deals on COMC. This morning I already purchased 7 Griffey cards, all under .54 cents each, you can’t beat that. I know that there will be a couple of promotions running on COMC over the weekend so I am watching closely.

Going off on a Grandpa Simpson type story; when I first started working for Toys R Us in 1993 it wasn't called Black Friday but Green Friday, because it was the day that the stores made lots of money, and the sales were called "The Day After Thanksgiving" sales. It eventually changed to Black Friday, because this is the day where many stores/companies would finally make enough money to move out of the red (negative) on their budget in to the black (positive profit). But if you ask retail employees they would probably say it is Black Friday because it is the worst and darkest day of the year to be a retail employee. I do not miss working in retail at all.

For some humor, here is a real Grandpa Simpson rambling story:
"I needed a new heel for my shoe so I decided to go to Morganville, which is what they called Shelbyville in those days. So I tied an onion to my belt, which was the style at the time. Now to take the ferry cost a nickel, and in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on them. Give me five bees for a quarter you’d say. Now where were we, oh ya. The important thing was that I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn’t have white onions because if the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones."

3 comments:

  1. Back then, a suitcase was known as a "Swedish lunchbox." Of course, nobody knew that but me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the information. Never heard of Green Friday... and the true meaning behind Black Friday.

    ReplyDelete