Friday, August 24, 2018

My Great Red Whale


Have you ever seen something collectible, outside of white whale cards, that just takes your breath away when you see yet know that you will never own it?
While searching for Mandred von Richthofen cards I stumbled across this first edition von Richthofen autobiography Der rote Kampfflieger”. The book itself has been on my Amazon Want List for a while, I haven’t ordered it because I have a stack of books already next to my bed that I must catch up on first. 
I am not as concerned about it being a first printing from 1917, it is what appears to be scribbling on the cover above the title (underneath the plane). That would be von Richthofen’s signature. Inside the book is also a CDV where Richthofen wrote “Gruss aus Schweidnitz 1917”, which means “Greetings from Schweidnitz” and is where he grew up.
At nearly $5,000 I will not be adding this book to my collection, but it is nice to have a dream.

Without looking it up, does anyone have a guess as to who replaced von Richthofen as squadron commander?

2 comments:

  1. Goering replaced him.

    That's a fantastic find. I've known stuff with his signature was probably out there, since he attained fame while he was still alive, but I've never actually seen any before. Way out of my price range as well unfortunately!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was gonna guess Snoopy, but I'll go with Billy's answer over mine.

    ReplyDelete