Monday, October 15, 2018

Monday Question Day- Outside Of Sports?


Today is question day:

Have you ever wanted, or purchased, a card of a player because of something they did outside of their specific sport?

With me it is Bob Uecker, I got a kick out of him on Mr. Belvedere and then his character on Major League is one of the best in the movie. I have always wanted his 1962 Topps RC. When I first got back in to the hobby I wanted to pick one up but never did. I find it hard to pay the price his RCs go for because I keep quoting him from Major League so I will probably just pick up his 1963 Topps, which to me is more appealing plus I can find a decent copy of his ‘63 for under $10 shipped.

5 comments:

  1. When I was a kid I'd watch The Tonight Show with my Uncle Bob, and that's where I learned about Bob Hacker, because Johnny Carson dubbed him "Mr. Baseball," and every story he told made us crack up. That led me to look up his stats I any baseball book or magazine I could find.

    I love Bob Uecker, and I need to find a good card of his as well.

    Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought Michael Jordan baseball cards even though I have never been a big fan of baseball or Jordan. But it's such an integral part of the narrative of the NBA in the 90s that I had to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Former NJ Senator Bill Bradley is a guy I greatly admire. He was an accomplished basketball player as well. I went back a few years ago and picked up a nice stack of his cards (and some of his campaign pins, too. I did a post about them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A few times. Most recently... a Wes Parker bat card. Never saw him play baseball... but watched him on an episode of The Brady Bunch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I probably have. I'm pretty sure that in the mid 1970s the Ed Marinaro cards I have I had gotten from packs I had busted back then.Ed went on to acting and was Officer Joe Coffey on Hill Street Blues. I think it was a few years after Hill Street Blues had run its course (or during the run) that I realized I had a couple of Ed's Football cards.

    ReplyDelete