Tuesday, December 11, 2018

eBay's Rash Attempts At Censorship Of A Single Card


eBay has decided to go on a censorship run removing auctions for the 1990-91 Hoops Mark Jackson #205 card because the Mendez brothers are in the background. For some reason this has taken nearly 30 years to be recognized but these cards have been selling on eBay and only now that the card has made the news has eBay gone on attack. Sellers of the Mark Jackson card have received emails similar to the one I posted below. 

Of course, OJ Simpson, Aaron Hernandez and Rae Carruth have cards are still available by the hundreds. A few months ago, I picked up the Captain Spaulding Museum Monster and Madmen cards on eBay that included real life serial killers Albert Fish and Eddie Gein as well as Lizzie Borden and Jack the Ripper, but those are ok I guess.

I agree there are some items that should be removed, body parts, items used in crimes and such but in this case,  eBay has made a mistake and this is a complete joke of eBay’s policies. 



6 comments:

  1. What I’ve kind of learned or assumed - eBay or any company only will take action if there is a big stink raised for any particular issue - listings for the card would still be up if no one pointed out why it was getting so much attention.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not as annoying to me as the radio stations banning "Baby It's Cold Outside". Still there are people who now want the card for the curiosity value. It hurts the buyers on eBay as much as the sellers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Huh, I have a two-card lot up on Ebay and I haven't received the email yet. I wonder if they're slowly sending them out or what the deal is. I'm hoping my auction sneaks through and I'm able to raise a little dough to buy a nice Vogelbach card!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Potentially good news... Read on another blog that eBay has reversed their decision to ban the sales of this card.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It seems like an inconsistent policy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, if they allow them, they'll be five bucks each because of the notoriety now. Thanks, eBay. At least I think I have one already.

    ReplyDelete