Monday, December 17, 2018

The Thrill Of Opening A Box Of 1993 Leaf Baseball



Night Owl hit his 10th Anniversary blogging and ran a contest to celebrate the accomplishment. Being selected as one of the participants, I picked a box of 1993 Leaf Baseball Series 1 jumbo box. Thank you Night Owl for the contest and the prizes.


Series 1 has a 220-card base checklist and 5 inserts with varying odds. The jumbo packs box is 24 packs with 20 cards each, so 480 total cards.

In typical 1990s collation I ended up 23 cards short, 89.6% complete. Each pack contained 1 Gold Leaf Stars, so I pulled 24 for a 10-card set, I was able to complete one set. I pulled an Eddie Murray Heading For The Hall insert and one Frank Thomas insert. Based on the odds I should have pulled 3 of each, but back to collation.





But, opening a box of 1990s product is fun no matter what because it brings me back to when I came back to collecting in 1993. Leaf also used some great photos for both the fronts and backs of the cards, something that seems to be becoming less common.

4 comments:

  1. What a coincidence: I also opened a box of 1993 Leaf recently, I got the same Thomas & Murray inserts you did and I was exactly 23 cards short of the complete set!

    I'd be happy to trade dupes with you - assuming we're not missing the same 23 cards, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be really wild if you two were missing the exact same 23 cards!

      Delete
    2. That is strange. I’ll get a list of the cards I need.

      Delete
  2. Leaf did a pretty good job picking guys for that Heading for the Hall insert set. 9 out of the 10 guys are in. Just waiting on Clemens... which is inevitable.

    ReplyDelete