Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Where It All Started



Yesterday I posted my #200 Griffey card, today I am going to go back to the beginning with my first Griffey card. When I returned to collecting in 1992 I only was collecting basketball cards. It was not until the 1993 MLB season opened when I decided to turn my attention in that direction and my favorite player’s rookie card was my obvious first “Big” purchase. I picked up this card in early 1993 for $40, I know that you can find the same card today for about 10% of that price but I have never regretted paying that price for such an iconic card.
 
When it comes to collecting Griffey the obvious choice for the cornerstone of any collection is the 1989 Upper Deck Ken Griffey Jr. #1 rookie card. Upper Deck was unleashing the “premium” card to the market and what better way to celebrate this new era than using an amazing young prospect as your #1 card? An amazing young prospect who went on to play 22 years, knock 630 homeruns and an almost certain Hall of Fame first ballot selection in 2016.

1 comment:

  1. Love this card.I waited until 1999 to pick mine up though and I paid $150 for it. The most I think I've ever paid for a single card.

    ReplyDelete