Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Paige's Injury Gets Me Wondering





When a favorite athlete retires there is usually a bump in their prices but what about when someone gets hurt and can no longer perform and forced in to early retirement?

There was a time when Tommy John surgery or microfracture surgery were career enders, but in just a couple of years medical field has advanced to help save those athlete’s careers but there are still some injuries you can’t come back from no matter what.

Two weeks ago at a WWE house show Paige, real name Saraya-Jade Bevis, took a kick to the back by Sasha Banks which dropped her to the canvas and the match was halted. Initially it was assumed to just be a stinger, a pinched nerve and can cause various side effects like numbness or pain down the back or arms, but because she had neck surgery in October 2016 that required screws to be inserted in to her neck the WWE determined that it is safest to end her career after additional medical review.

Now in a case like Paige’s where her wrestling career is over, is she still collectible? Do you think there will be a rush on her limited autographs?

5 comments:

  1. As a casual fan, my impression is that she's been out of the loop for a while for various reasons. I think she might see a slight bump in prices for a bit, then go back to whatever normal is for her cards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was out for over a year because of a previous neck injury and she was in Vince McMahon’s doghouse for some racy photos with Alberto del Rio.

      Delete
  2. It's hard to tell....did she ever attain lasting status among collectors? Honest question that maybe the hardcore fans can answer. That was a heck of an injury.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Personally, if I had an autograph... I'd sell it now and grab another one later on down the line. And if I didn't have one, but wanted one... I'd wait for things to settle down. Then again... I haven't watched wrestling in years, so what the heck do I know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw man. I don't watch wrestling, but I like Paige. Didn't know she was done. That's a shame. Better grab an auto while I can!

    ReplyDelete