Monday, April 1, 2013

Celebrating MLB Opening Day With A Topps Opening Day Blaster



It is officially Opening Day in baseball, not counting last night’s Astros-Rangers game, so what is more fitting that opening a blaster of 2013 Topps Opening Day Baseball?
 
The set is the same design as Topps Baseball, with the addition of the Opening Day logo and a different checklist. There are only 220 cards in the base checklist and the numbering is different than Series 1 Baseball. There are parallels and short print variations; again they are different than Series 1 Baseball. The parallels are Purple (no #), Blue (#/2013) and Printing Plates (1/1). The variations are Press Conferences/Public Events.
 
I pulled only one Mariner player, Jesus Montero. I was a little more fortunate with Diamondback players which included starting First Baseman Paul Goldschmidt, two of the five pitchers in the starting rotation plus a future fixture in the pitching rotation, Tyler Skaggs.
 
I pulled two Blue Opening Day refractors, Zack Greinke and DBacks #2 starter Trevor Cahill.
Fredbird, the St. Louis Cardinals mascot and Captain, the Texas Rangers mascot
I pulled a handful of inserts, 2 each from Ballpark Fun, Opening Day Highlights, Play Hard and Superstar Celebrations.



I close out with one of my favorite Topps inserts, the 3D cards. I think this year’s Opening Day Stars 3D cards are among my favorite Topps 3D cards along with the Topps 2020 3D cards from the 2010 Baseball Series 2 release. I pulled the one card that I really wanted, Felix Hernandez.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment