Monday, October 16, 2017

Monday Question Day- Is Bigger Always Better?


Today is question day:

Would you rather have a larger collection of common base/inserts or a smaller collection but with more rare base/inserts?

I used to collect everything, if there was a card or product I bought it, but my collection got overwhelming and difficult to organize because something went in this collection but I needed this card for a team set and so on. Over the years I started to cut down what I collected, first it was to stop collecting certain sports and then it went a step further and I stopped collecting sets. Now I focus on just a couple of PC collections with some cards from outside my PC that I enjoy. 

I would say I prefer a smaller collection with more rare base and insert cards. I am building my Griffey collection one card at a time so there are plenty of base cards in my collection but it is the more rare and special cards that I display.


8 comments:

  1. I struggle with this all the time - I enjoy having piles of low-end cards at times, while other times I prefer to save my pennies for a bigger piece (low #d auto/relic, or vintage)I envy collectors that can narrow their focus to one player, team, or set - even temporarily.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tend to focus on a mix of set collections and player collections. For my player collections I've found myself largely ignoring base cards lately in favor of parallels, inserts, autographs, and relics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I collect everything, and I love it. If I had to limit myself, I would probably leave the hobby because there would be no point to it, to me. I'm unhappy and in enough pain as it is, I will never give up something that brings me true joy just because someone says I should have a "focus". I have not seen anyone say that in this hobby, but I have elsewhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is one thing I really appreciate about the hobby, it is that people share stories about their collection but rarely does anyone ever tell another person how to collect.

      I think it is because each collector does what they do because they enjoy it and only once was I told I was not collecting "correctly" and that was when I first got back in to the hobby (1992-93).

      Delete
  4. Definitely larger. All baseball cards are good. Only lack of baseball cards is bad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My collection is way too big due to my addiction to cheap cards. However if I were to start all over, I'd definitely focus on a smaller, higher end collection.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I prefer small and special, but in my pursuit of "sets" my collection is an eclectic mix of very very common and a few rare "my precious" gems.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fuji said what I was going to say.

    ReplyDelete