Monday, September 10, 2018

Monday Question Day- Video Gamers?


Today I am going to ask a question that some may not have any input to because of the subject. Would you be interested in video game card sets? 

I am not talking about a TCG/CCG, a set connected to a comic book series or a set like a SEGA release that is part of a sports release (or sports in general), but a full-fledge video game release. In the early 90s when companies were looking to make money as quickly as possible there were various by Topps and Fleer but nothing was constant and I don’t think I would consider them a major release but more a money grab for a year or two.

I am a gamer going back to Pong, but I do not think that there is enough of a cross over of hobbies to garner enough interest from most collectors for a company to invest for a major release outside of possibly a Grand Theft Auto set. 

We will find out soon because it was announced at SDCC that Dynamite Entertainment is releasing a Fallout set some time next month. It is a base set with a couple of chase sets of holofoils and die-cuts and is pre-selling at $99, which is where I lost interest. 

5 comments:

  1. I would from certain properties. I would also be interested in an overall history of video games set.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For me it depends entirely on the games. In the 1990s there was the Nintendo stickers set. A well done Classic Atari games set would be super cool. Also as Billy said an overall history of video games set would be cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know that I'd be into a full product of video game cards, but I'd love if Topps Archives had an insert set paying tribute to classic video games, though it probably wouldn't fit in their baseball scope. But then again, there were Heavy Metal autos in past sets, right? So who knows. I've had the idea of doing similar custom cards, but haven't gotten around to it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it would take a lot for me to buy a set devoted to video games, whether it featured a certain game franchise or the history of video games.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't play video games that much anymore, so don't think this would be my thing. I do own a few Pac-man Fleer scratch off cards from the 80's that I thought were pretty cool. If I came across a box of that stuff, I'd probably buy it.

    ReplyDelete