Tuesday, February 19, 2019

Griffey Printer Scrap





I picked up a Griffey card that was being sold as an error, but it really isn’t an error. The card is a test card that was a printer’s scrap. The card began life as a 1995 Stadium Club Super Skills #SS11 but ended up being used by Topps to practice die-cuts that would later be used in both 1996 Laser Baseball and 1996 Laser Football.

While I am not certain who the football player is, I believe it to be Troy Aikman because it looks like a star on the helmet. I also think the image on the back of the Griffey card is the "front" of the Aikman card.

4 comments:

  1. Love unique cards like this one. Very cool card.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen a few cards similar to this over the years (although not as cool), but I always wonder if someone just made it on their own, like at their house, not as a test, but just for sh*ts and giggles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like cards like this. One of my favorites is the 1990 Topps Rookies foil test cards.

      Delete
  3. Probably not Troy Aikman facemask isn't right , looks like a generic cutout of a no name football player imo

    ReplyDelete