Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Nightmares On Cardboard V Submissions


It is time for Nightmares On Cardboard V!

 

Each year on Thorzul Will Rule there is a contest for Halloween related cards, people can enter by submitting their custom cards and the best of the group is selected with prizes going to the top couple of submissions.
 
I am a fan of House of 1,000 Corpses and The Devil’s Rejects so I decided to build a set on House of 1,000 Corpses. For the card fronts I used the 1971 Topps baseball cards as a base, rotated it horizontally, added the "House of..." logo and built it from there. For the card backs I used the 1959 Topps Baseball High Series back.
 
I created 9 cards total but decided to limit my submission to 5 cards, so I only created backs for these 5 cards. The cards are 4 main characters; Baby Firefly, Captain Spaulding, Dr. Satan and Otis B Driftwood along with a video card. I added wear & tear along with some staining and discoloration to the backs of the cards. I wanted to add wear, rounded corners and creases to the front but I was not happy with the way it looked, it stood out but in a bad way.






I was playing around with the backs and while I was adding different elements of the cardboard being worn and stained/discolored I decided to add a thumbtack hole in the center of the Dr. Satan card (below). I did not submit this card with the pin hole.
 





 
The following four cards; Grandpa Hugo Firefly, Earl Firefly (The Professor), Tiny Firefly and Gerry Ober are cards that I created but did not submit. I did not create backs to any of these cards.
 




 

This year will be my third time entering the Nightmares of Cardboard contest, these are my prior submissions:
 
Here is last year’s submission for Nightmares on Cardboard IV (2011); I ended up as a non-medalist
 
Here is the previous year’s submission for Nightmares on Cardboard III (2010); I earned a second place tie with Matt from Heartbreaking Cards of Staggering Genius

No comments:

Post a Comment