Thursday, January 24, 2019

Vintage Card Of The Month: 1933 Goudey Sport Kings Duke Kahanamoku



 

This month’s VCoM comes from one of the most amazing sports sets ever, the 1933 Goudey Sport Kings Gum set. The 48-card set was released throughout 1933 and 1934 in packs of Sport Kings gum by Goudey.

Goudey did an amazing job with an awesome checklist, which was a complete necessity to get children to part with their pennies in the midst of the Great Depression and included athletes from a large variety of sports. Along with baseball, basketball, football and hockey there are also summer and winter Olympians as well as a number of outdoor athletes. Some of the big names are Babe Ruth, Ty Cobb, Red Grange, Jim Thorpe, Walter Hagen, Gene Tunney, Johnny Weissmuller and Bobby Jones.

Now you may remember a couple of years ago where I posted about purchasing a fake version of this card as part of a collection, last year I finally added a real one to my collection and I can tell you that visually the cards are night and day and you can tell which is real. I am very excited about adding this to my collection.

1 comment:

  1. One of my favorite sets of all-time. I'd love to one day own this card for my Hawaii PC.

    ReplyDelete