Monday, August 13, 2018

Monday Question Day- Replacement Cards?


If you have a modern card that you have had graded and it has come back with a lower grade than expected have you ever cracked it from the case and requested a replacement for a damaged card from the manufacturer?

This question came to mind after reading on Blowout forums about people getting cards back from being graded and not happy with the grade the card received. I have heard of people cracking cards out of the case and resubmitting them to be graded but I was wondering if anyone just sent the card back to Topps/Panini/Upper Deck and complained about it being damaged.

I don’t know how I feel about it. I know that if a card comes out of a pack damaged, and it was a good player, I would request a replacement but if the card wasn’t damaged I wouldn’t bother the company. I have only requested a replacement once and that was a Press Pass autograph about 10 years ago.

An additional question: If you bought a lower graded modern card or even just a damaged card, would you consider breaking it out and requesting a replacement?

For example, you buy a Aaron Judge autograph with a dinged corner or smudged autograph. Would you request a replacement?

4 comments:

  1. Sending in damaged cards has never been my cup of tea. Growing up in the 80's... one card out of most packs I ripped was going to contain a wax stain. Technically it's damaged, but I never considered collecting all of them and shipping them back to Topps.

    I guess if I pulled a 1/1 Super Fractor worth hundreds or thousands of dollars, I'd reconsider my position on the topic. But I'm just way too lazy to jump through all of the hoops you listed in your post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've sent back misprinted cards from a hobby box and got replacements. I still have a big stack of 2010 Topps or so that I forgot about that have no foil printing.

    Wouldn't anything that is visibly damaged return a grade below a 3?

    I crack out any graded cards that I buy - which is rare - and never imprison them again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...though my friend asked me what I'd do if I pulled the '55 Bowman Mantle like the guy at the National. That would be the one time I would submit for grading. Then when it came back, I would sell it for the inflated price, and buy a raw '55 Mantle and several other star cards that I wanted.

      Delete
  3. I think if I originally pulled the card and if it had a blemish or imperfection of any sort - it is going to be on its way back for replacement.

    I'm sure it has been done, but I wouldn't buy any current card outright as a single and expect to be able to return it to the company for replacement.

    Usually people get cards re-graded after they 'fix' the apparent imperfections - that is a whole different set of circumstances, than returning the card to a company because the card didn't meet their expected graded through PSA or BGS.

    ReplyDelete