Friday, November 22, 2013

Box Break: 2013 Panini Beach Boys II


 Twenty-four packs later and I am impressed, Panini did a nice job with the set. I can see this definitely appealing to Beach Boys fans. The 120-card base set covers the 52-year history of the Beach Boys including promotional band shots and candid shots. The checklist includes the five current members (Brian Wilson, Mike Love, Al Jardine, Bruce Johnston and David Marks) plus Dennis Wilson and Carl Wilson, who have both passed on. Ricky Fataar and Blondie Chaplin were left off of the checklist.
 
I was able to complete the base set with an additional 20 duplicates, not counting the Foil Surfer parallels. It is nice to open a box and complete a set, too often collectors are left with a partial set and a large collection of duplicates. The Foil Surfer parallels have a small foil surfer on the bottom corner and are found in the base set and on inserts.
Total there are six insert sets; In Their Own Words, Etchings, Honors, On the Record (My favorite of the inserts), Sounds of Summer and Top 10 Hits. I got a nice collection of inserts and I pulled at least one from each insert set. I pulled 40 total inserts (including some parallels), which is better than I expected. The die-cut On the Record inserts are my favorite.





There are three different parallels; Foil Surfer, Artist Proofs (#/99) and Printing Plates (1/1). I pulled 26 total Foil Surfers and one Artist Proof from the Top 10 Hits insert set (#26/99) 
There are three different hits; Autographs (#/70 or less), Concert Gear and the retail-exclusive manufactured relic Commemorative Guitar Picks. I finish up with two Concert Gear relics, Al Jardine and Brian Wilson.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment