Monday, November 18, 2013

Vintage Card What?


Recently I have been looking to diversify my vintage collection beyond baseball, I do have other sports vintage cards but I want to go outside of the sports genre. One set that I have been looking in to is the 1966 Leaf Good Guys and Bad Guys release, a 72-card set built on old west legends. Guys like Billy the Kid, Davey Crockett, Sitting Bull and General Custer are on the checklist but the one that caught my attention is the Geronimo card, #46 on the checklist. Nothing like some good old fashion stereotyping.
 
The Apaches were well known drinkers, often drinking a home-made brew called tiswin, and Geronimo did lead numerous raids in to Mexico to steal alcohol but it caught me by surprise because you wouldn’t see anything like liquor or cigarettes/tobacco products (see Randy Johnson's Marlboro 1989 Fleer card) on a card now let alone a card that would typify racism or a stereotype.

1 comment:

  1. Oh how times have changed. I can imagine the drama surrounding this card if it was inserted into a current product. This set sounds pretty cool. I've been a fan of the Old West theme since watching Young Guns.

    ReplyDelete