Friday, December 23, 2016

Bad Assery Boba Fett


 
I came across the artist John Soukup/Kettle Art on Raz’s blog, his art style is quite unique and very popular. One of the things that makes his work standout is because he is not afraid to use multiple mediums together or to repurpose cards. Most of his official sketch cards are well outside of my budget but I was able to take advantage of some late night auctions and a mislabeled card.
 
I came across some very cool Boba Fett cards and jumped on them. The first is a multi-medium repurposed card where Soukup painted Boba Fett on a separate piece of cardboard and then attached it to the front of card #210 from the 1980 Topps Empire Strikes Back set. The original card showed Boba Fett in the carbonite freezing chamber but he was blurred a bit behind fumes so this is an amazing upgrade over the original card.
The second card is amazeballs, I have never said that about a card before but this one deserves it so I am going with it. Again he repurposed a 2011 Topps Update Jose Batista card for what is really just the coolest art card that I have ever owned.
 
The card is multi-layered, a 3D card, and Soukup is not satisfied with just having multiple layers but he uses them for the best results. Boba Fett’s body is painted on the top of the Batista card with the solid red painted around it. Level 2 is the arm with the blaster and level 3 is the boulder he is hiding behind. The arm is pinned through the card and moves up and down. Taking a page from somebody from Boston’s South End, this card is wicked-cool.
 
For the introduction to John’s work I have a package for Raz. I don’t have your address and I tried to send an email to you but I don’t know if it was the correct email so if you can contact me I will get the cards sent your way.



5 comments:

  1. Those are really fantastic!

    P.S. I don't think Raz likes emails, I sent him one about a month ago and never got a reply!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went and looked your names up in my e-mail. It looks like you both e-mailed me within a few days of each other. I don't know what I had going on in life at that time, but I obviously failed to get back to you. I'll get some responses out sometime in the next few days. Sorry for the delay!

      Delete
  2. Both of them Bobas are bad ass!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are some cool sketches. I was watching those listings for a while, but never pulled the trigger on them as Boba Fett isn't at the top of my collecting list. I'm glad they went to a good home, as they are pretty sweet. Soukup does good work.

    ReplyDelete