Friday, December 16, 2016

Vintage Card Of The Month: 1934 Basma Manfred von Richthofen


 
This month’s VCoM is another Richthofen card that comes from a 1934 pack of Basma Cigarettes from Germany. The card is about the height of a standard American tobacco card like the T206 cards but wider about half an inch.
 
The downside to collecting Manfred von Richthofen cards is that most, roughly 90-95%, of the cards are of German origination which makes tracking and organizing a bear of a task. In fact, the only American cards of the Baron that I know of are the 1933-34 National Chicle Skybirds, the 2008 & 2009 SP Legendary Cuts Baseball and the 2011 Goodwin Champions cards. But I will not be dissuaded and continue my tasking hunt for the Red Baron.

3 comments:

  1. Way cool. Before WWII cards were big in Germany but are almost undocumented today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, this is one of the most amazing cards that I think I've seen you post. You always surprise me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a terrific card! From my combination of long-disused high school German and an assist from Google Translate, I believe the back of the says (in part):

    German Men
    A collection of famous Germans
    Picture #53
    Baron von Richtofen
    Pilot in World War
    These pictures are included in:
    ...and the rest lists what I imaging are cigarette brands and prices, with the company name at the bottom (Cigarettenfabrik = Cigarette factory)

    ReplyDelete