Wednesday, November 28, 2018

Bear Down On Cardboard


Many moons ago, almost 7 months ago, Angus from Dawg Day Cards sent me an email asking if I was interested in a box of 1990 Collegiate Arizona Wildcats that he picked up. I am always happy to add any University of Arizona cards to my collection and having an entire box of Wildcats is even better. The box got put in a drawer with cards to be sorted and supplies and ended up getting covered before I unearthed it Tuesday night. 


The set was released in 1990 so busting this box brought back some wonderful memories for me when I was growing up in Tucson from 1979 through 1988. Adding to the fun was that some of the players, like my mini-PC Steve Kerr, had multiple cards in the set. 

Chuck Cecil was one of the hardest hitting DBs in the NFL playing for the Packers, Cardinals and Oilers. After his playing days he went on to coach for the Titans from 2001-2010 and then spent 4 years with the Rams. He is currently the Director of Player Development for the U of A. He is my second favorite Wildcat after Steve Kerr.

Kenny Lofton, best known for his 16 year MLB career, initially came to Arizona on a basketball scholarship and didn’t even try out for the baseball team until his junior year. He made a Final Four appearance backing up Steve Kerr in 1988.

Coach Jerry Kindall had a very unmemorable 8-year MLB career but while coaching the Wildcats he won 3 College World Series titles and the baseball field is now named after him. 

The final card I am highlighting is not someone I would expect most people outside of Arizona would know, Mo Udall. Following his freshman year at Arizona he went in to the Air Force during WWII (1942-1946), returning to the University after his enlistment was up. He was drafted by the Denver Nuggets in 1948, becoming the first basketball player from the school to play professionally. He eventually went on to Congress, spending 30 years in the House of Representatives.
Thank you for the box Angus, that was very kind of you to think of me when you came across it. I was able to put together the entire 125-card set with three packs left and plenty of dupes. 

5 comments:

  1. Right off the bat, seeing the post title, I knew I was going to see Wildcat cards. For some reason, I didn't even consider they might be from me!

    Glad to hear you got a full set. I was waiting with doubles in case you were short.

    Looks like I won't be getting down to AZ for Christmas. Hopefully I'll be able to get down for some Cactus League games in the Spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will try my best to get down to Phoenix when you are there. I have some surgeries coming up but I should know plenty of time before hand.

      Delete
  2. I remember Mo Udall...pretty sure one or both of my parents voted for him for President in the primaries in 1976. That's an awesome card. Has anyone ever done a set of non-sports celebrities in their high school or college sports uniforms? I'm sure there are many.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be an interesting idea, a set like Goodwin Champions would be perfect.

      Delete
  3. Cool box. My best friend is a University of Arizona grad, so I always cheer for them if they're in March Madness.

    ReplyDelete