Sunday, July 11, 2010

2009-10 Upper Deck Ultimate Hockey



I know, I know… I normally do not cover hockey much on the blog and here I am covering 2 hockey releases on consecutive days… what next?

I have not collected hockey for about 6 years now, a lockout will do that to collectors. Following the 2004-05 NHL lockout I just lost interest in the sport and did not feel like collecting hockey anymore.

Schedule Release Date: Available Now
Box Configuration: 5 cards per pack, 1 pack per box
SRP: $85/pack

Box Break:
1 Autograph
1 Memorabilia
1 Rookie

My Thoughts:
Upper Deck knows how to put out an upper end product. This set is not made for the set collector but for the collector looking for the big hits.

Every card is limited to 399 or less with autographs #/25 and less and memorabilia #/200 or less, with most memorabilia #/50 or less.

The Ultimate Nicknames is one of my favorite inserts, a cool design, a nice checklist that includes my favorite player, Messier, along with Lemieux, Bobby Hull, Howe and Don Cherry.

I have always been a fan of Ultimate; the price tag has actually inched down over the years but still up there (though not as high as something like National Treasures). You do get some decent cards for your purchase though.

Rating:
I rate this set 4 out of 5 because there are so many positives to the release. Good photos, nice design and some of the autographs at least appear to be on card, though I am not sure if they are all on card or if some are lick-em stick-em autographs.

1 comment: