Thursday, August 12, 2010

2010 Donruss Elite Extra Edition

Panini will be releasing the 2010 Donruss Elite Extra Edition Baseball set soon and if you are big on college baseball this is the set to have. It is loaded with some of the most recent years top draft picks including 2009 overall #2 Seattle Mariners pick Dustin Ackley. The 200-card set, 100 commons and 100 autographed rookies, should include some greats as well as some future stars. The checklist itself will not be announced until after the August 16th professional contract signing date.

Schedule Release Date: September 29, 2010
Box Configuration: 5 cards per pack, 20 packs per box
SRP: $100/box

Box Break:
6 Autograph Cards
1 Elite Series Card
1 School Colors



My Thoughts:
Not being a college collector, outside of my University of Arizona players, I am not big on this set. It is not a bad set honestly I am just not really in to collecting college cards of any players in any sport. Panini did a nice job making a match up of young players and retired stars including Pete Rose, Nolan Ryan and one of my favorites Reggie Jackson.

I like that Panini is continuing the collegiate patches, I know they are manufactured patches but I really like them.





Pros:
Over 100 rookies and prospects autographs
Retired greats like Pete Rose, George Brett, Mike Schmidt and Wade Boggs.

30 on card autographs

Elite legacy Buyback autographs

4 Hot Box per case- Includes 10 autographs



Cons:
To many lick-em stick-em autographs

Lots of projects and unknowns will be included on the final checklist


Rating: UNDECIDED
This is tough, I am torn because the set is decent but because I do not collect college cards/players I want to give it a lower grade. Also not knowing the final checklist leaves me wondering who will be included.

I think I am going to have to leave this as an “Undecided” rating because not enough is known yet.

2 comments:

  1. I think Ackley was from 2009 Draft not this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the correction, I have fixed my post.

    ReplyDelete