Thursday, December 20, 2012

Vintage Card Of The Month: 1977 Topps Steve Largent


This month’s Vintage Card of the Month is from the 1977 Topps Football set, Steve Largent. The 1977 Topps football release was the first set to include both of the 1976 expansion teams, the Seattle Seahawks and Tampa Bay Buccaneers. This card is Largent’s rookie card, remember the days when a player had only one rookie card?
 
Last month I selected a Largent relic card for my vintage card so this selection should be no surprise. Steve Largent is my favorite Seahawk and is among the Seahawks pantheon of gods along with Dave Krieg, Walter Jones, Curt Warner, Shaun Alexander, Matt Hasselbeck, Cortez Kennedy and Mack Strong.
 
Topps was the only major football card company at the time and they had a pretty standard design in the mid-late 70s; a white border, close-up shot of the player, a banner of some sort with the team name and the player’s name. If you look at the base cards from 1975 through the 1983 sets you will see there were only minor changes from year to year.
 
The card is in good shape and besides a smudge on the front (above the “E” in Largent) and cut slightly off center on the front it looks great. I picked up the card about 10 years ago on eBay for less than $8 shipped so a pretty good bargain.

1 comment:

  1. I love this card! It's one of my favorites in the Seahawks PC. Unfortunately, I paid a lot more for mine... $20 for a PSA 8... that I immediately popped out of its case.

    ReplyDelete