Monday, November 24, 2014

The Nest Step For Autograph Collectors?


In my continued search to add young Mariners to my team collection I hunt down autographs of players like Chris Taylor, who after playing 47 games following his call-up late last season is expected to make a run as the team’s starting Shortstop in 2015.
 
I came across an odd autograph, it was Taylor’s 2014 Bowman Chrome but not his “Official" autograph that was packed out by Topps. It was a sorta-IP autograph. The dealer had Taylor sign stickers during a minor league game during the 2012 season and the then the dealer stuck the sticker on to the 2014 Bowman Chrome card to make it an autographed card.
 
I can understand the reasoning behind it, having a player sign multiple stickers at one time and affix the signed stickers to any item at a later time. It cuts down on the items an autograph hound has to carry or mail out and they can add the stickers to anything. Personally I don’t like it, the stickers are disconnected and noticeably different and in this case the sticker looks crappy on the card and the autograph is not very visible.


It got me wondering, is this a natural progression for IP/TTM autographs?


1 comment:

  1. Boy, I sure hope it's not the natural progression for IP/TTM autographs. I don't like it at all. There's something about knowing the player actually held the CARD in hand while signing it. I've never been a fan of sticker autos.

    ReplyDelete