Thursday, November 20, 2014

Would You Collect A Manziel Baseball Card?


 In a continuing attempt at including Johnny Manziel in to as many products as possibly Topps has decided to include Manziel in the upcoming Bowman Draft Picks set being released in December.
 
Manziel was selected by the Padres in the 28th Round of the 2014 MLB Draft, number 837th overall. Manziel last played baseball as a Junior in high school in 2010, and while this wouldn’t be the first time that a NFL QB was drafted by MLB it would be the first time that a NFL QB had his own baseball card without even showing up for batting practice following being drafted.
 
Other NFL QBs that were drafted by baseball teams include Colin Kaepernick, Russell Wilson, Jake Locker, Brandon Weeden and Tom Brady. Wilson and Weeden are the only ones that have baseball cards but they both have played baseball in the minor league system so it is reasonable for them to be included in Bowman sets. Topps did include Wilson in this year’s Bowman release as a Texas Ranger but at least he showed up for the Rangers in Spring League and took batting practice and did drills with the team.
 
Johnny “Baseball” is depicted on the Bowman card wearing a Padres jersey with a Heisman logo on the sleeve, the picture was from a publicity shot when he threw out the first pitch at a game in May 2013. They didn’t even have a shot from after the draft. You think they could have tossed him in to a Padres jersey and took him to Petco Park to at least claim it was an “Official” MLB picture. 

This is an interesting situation because one of the most collected rookies in both NFL and MLB has seen limited time in only 2 NFL games and will never appear in an MLB game.


3 comments:

  1. I don't think I would chase the card down, but it's quirky enough that I would enjoy having it in my collection if I pulled it from a pack. I kind of want one of the Russell Wilson cards, but I guess I don't want it enough to go out and chase one down. I do have a bootleg Munnatawket Allen & Ginter What Could Have Been card featuring Wilson as a Ranger.

    http://razcardblog.blogspot.com/2014/10/what-ebay-hath-wrought-119-more.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, it'd be kinda cool to have that card (especially as a Padre fan), though I wouldn't go after it too hard (ie, pay a lot for it).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh god, I loved watching that kid play for my school, but this is a bit ridiculous. I'd never hunt it down, but I'd set one aside if I pulled it. Or if it showed up my way. It fits with the old draft cards of Ricky Williams, or the '90 Score Eric Lindros that shows him hitting BP for the Blue Jays. I'd better stop myself before I start a mini-collection. Yikes.

    ReplyDelete