Thursday, February 14, 2019

Clemens, Did I Make The Team?


In 2013 I got the idea to put together a set based on the Simpsons episode Homer at the Bat. The episode aired in February 1992, so I decided to use the 1992 Topps set. A nice clean design that was easy to work with. I finally finished the illustrations last year, but I do have further plans.
Why did it take me so long? Besides my procrastination, I drew every illustration by hand. I went through the episode on my computer and stopped the video at the exact point I wanted the shot to be so I could get a screen grab. I then used the player’s 1992 card as a template, so the base was already set. Then using the screen grab as the starting point, I drew the entire scene using Photoshop and my trusty Wacom tablet. Over 5 years I put in over 100 hours, some days I would work on a card for 6-8 hours alone. This was why I was so upset when I accidently deleted the files. 
I’ll use the Scioscia card to show you from start to finish. I did take some artistic liberties, but I tried to remain as true to the original.








4 comments:

  1. Awesome job! Glad they weren't lost in the accident!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tremendous work! Thanks for showing them off!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your hard work truly paid off. These are truly fantastic!

    ReplyDelete