Friday, August 28, 2015

The Art Gallery: 2013 Cryptozoic Superman: The Legend Bizarro


This month’s The Art Gallery display comes from the 2013 Cryptozoic Superman: The Legend release, the artist is the legendary illustrator Joe Simko.

When it comes to bad guys in the Superman world there is a hierarchy beginning with Lex Luther but I don’t subscribe to that philosophy, I have always liked General Zod followed by Bizarro so this card seemed like a perfect addition to my sketch card collection. What surprised me is that I was the only bidder on this card and ended up winning it for .99 cents (plus $2.32 shipping).

To add the windfall is that the illustrator is Joe Simko, who is probably most well-known for his works with Topps and his contributions to Garbage Pail Kids and Wacky Packages. His portfolio runs much deeper than that and includes sketch work with Topps, Cryptozoic and his own sketch card company Wax Eye. Usually his sketch cards, no matter what the subject matter, sell for a premium over every other sketch card in the set so I made a killer deal on this one.

2 comments:

  1. The sketch card market is so weird. I think a lot of it has to do with how the listings are titled, how long the listings last, and when they start/end. There are so many sketch cards on the market these days, too, that it can be easy for some to slip through the cracks. Congrats on digging up a nice sketch by a famous artist!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great sketch card. When I was a kid... my favorite Super Friends episodes involved Bizarro.

    ReplyDelete