Thursday, April 24, 2014

Memories Of A Red, White And Blue Summer Of 1976


In 1976 I was young lad living on Long Island, the upcoming Bicentennial had everyone is a frenzy of Americana. At the time Julius Erving was a member of the local ABA team, the New York Nets (playing out of Nassau Coliseum), which went on to win the final ABA Title in 1976 prior to the ABA-NBA merger. After the merger Dr. J. went on to join the Philadelphia 76ers, where he won another title in 1983.
 
As you grow up you will occasionally link a specific person to a time or a place and with me Dr. J represents the Bicentennial. I honestly cannot explain why I connect him to 1976, possibly because he won the title in 1976 or that he played for the 76ers, but this 2013-14 Panini Prizm Erving Red, White and Blue parallel really appeals to me. It just brings me back to when I was a kid and would watch his amazing dunks. I don’t have one yet, I keep putting it off, I need to quit waiting and add this pure sweetness to my personal collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment