Friday, May 8, 2015

Figuring Out Realistic Prices


Question:

How do you price a card that is so uncommon that there are very few sales to determine a fair rate?

 

Years ago I pulled a 2011 Topps Heritage Alex Rodriguez SSP reverse negative and I have gone back and forth on selling it because there never seems to be much data to figure a good selling point. Since the 2011 Heritage release I have seen the card posted for as much as $500, though I have never seen one sell for more than around $150. This year there has only been one sold on eBay and that was in February for $50 with just one bid but the seller mistitled it as a 2012 Heritage card and they probably missed out on some potential buyers with the year error so I don’t know if I should consider that as a reasonable price.

Now that A-Rod is back and just took over the #4 position on the All-Time Homerun list yesterday there is a resurgence in his card sales. I considered tossing it up for a $150 BIN/OBO price and go from there but considering that Rodriguez is signed through 2017 and it is reasonable to believe that if he stays healthy he can realistically hit 30 homeruns a year over the next three seasons he can overtake Bonds as the All-Time leader and I am guessing if that happens I can pretty much set any price but that means waiting.


Decisions…Decisions…
 
 

3 comments:

  1. I've had a handful of those in the past. I usually go with the BIN/OBO route. Auctions are a little too risky in my book... since you're relying on at least two people being interested in your card at that given moment. Best of luck on whatever you decide to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Fuji -- slap the price it should sell for on it, and some schmo, er, bidder won't get lucky if no one else notices it/is paying attention.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another way to get a more history on completed auctions is to use a service like:

    http://www.priceguide.cards

    ReplyDelete