Friday, January 20, 2017

Whataburger Nolan Ryan Scratchy Cards


In 1993 Whataburger handed out packs of lenticular cards that were called Nolan Ryan Recollections, a 10-card set highlighting the exploits of Nolan Ryan. It was a regional set for their Southwest stores.

I didn’t have any luck at my local Whataburgers, they always seemed to be out, not even my local LCS had any. In the end I had to hunt them down at shows finally finding only one seller had them and since it was a sellers market he was asking for an insane price, I believe it was around $5 each, so I only picked up two. After paying that for just two cards I decided the other 8 cards would have to wait and by the end of 1993 I had basically given up on the set. Here are the two cards that I had purchased in 1993.
For whatever reason I remembered the set while I was going through COMC during their Black Friday sale and when I saw the prices of the singles I had to buy them. The other 8 cards were selling between ¢.30 and ¢.50 each, so about $3 for all 8 cards. I will admit I was pretty excited about finally completing this 10-card set that has been out of my mind for over 20 years.

These are the cards that I picked up to complete the set



4 comments:

  1. Someone will prove me wrong but it seems like everyone likes/respects Nolan Ryan. Seriously unlikely that anyone will touch his no-hitter record. Nice oddball set. Congrats on finishing it after all these years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool set! I remember going to Whataburger and getting the set. My parents were pretty good about buying whatever it was to have me get cards as a kid. I still have the cards.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always liked lenticular cards. Cool pickup

    ReplyDelete
  4. Team logos and lenticular cards are an amazing combination. I'll have to look into picking up this set. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete